All works by years
1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973
1. Childhood and years of education (1881-1900)Pablo Picasso was born in 1881, October 25 in the town Malaga (Spain, Andaluzia). His christened full was Pablo Diego Jose' Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Mari'a de los Remedios Crispi'n Crispiniano de la Santi'sima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso That were the sequence of the names of admirer holy men and his family relatives. Picasso - it was the maiden surname his mother which he took for himself. His father had name Hose Ruis, it was too ordinary and at the same time he was also an artist.
Pablo was shown his drawing talent since early childhood. He was studied his father since 7 years. He had been instructed to draw paws of pigeons on the father`s pictures. But once his father charged to complete the picture of the quite large still life and he was surprised his son`s technique so much, that he by legend left off own painting.
When Pablo was 13 he brilliantly entered in the Barselona Academy of Arts. Preparation for exam was taken usually one month for others students. Pablo used one week only. The examiners were surprised his mastership and he was taken in Academy spite of his adolescent age. His father and uncle settled to send Pablo in the Madrid Academy "San Fernando" known as the forward School of Art in Spain. So Pablo came to Madrid in 1897 when he was 16. However classes at School of Art lasted not a long time (less than one year) he was captured with charm of style Madrid life and studying works of the impressing artists those days: Diego Velaskes, Fransisco Goya and particularly El Greko.
The collection Picasso's early works is in Barselona in the Picasso's Museum. The well-known works from them are: "First Communion" (1896) - it is the large picture representing his sister Lola, "Selfportrait" (1896), "Portrait of the Artist's Mother" (1896). Being grown up Picasso visited an exhibition of child drawings and he said: "When I was like those children I had drawn like Rafael, but I demanded all my life to study drawing like they".
During the period of his education in Madrid Picasso made the first tour in Paris. That city was the confident European capital of art. Pablo visited all museums there during some months and studied masterpieces of the great painters: Delacroix, Toulouse-Lautrec, Vincent van Gogh, Gauguin and many others. Also he was keen on Finickia and Egyptian Arts, Gothic sculpture, Japan painting. Pablo was interested absolutely all. In Paris he met Ambroise Vollard, a collector and trader of paintings, poets Max Jacob and Guillaume Apollinaire and others. Picasso visited Paris again in 1901, 1902 and finally came over there in 1904.
2. Blue Period (1901-1904)Paintings made in interval 1901 and 1904 are attributed to that period. Grey-blue and light -blue-green deep cold colors, colors of sorrow and low spirits are constantly in those works. Picasso called blue as "color of all colors". The frequent topics those pictures are exhausted mothers and their children, vagabonds, beggars and blinds. The most well known pictures from them are "Life" (1903), "Breakfast of a Blind Man" (1903), "The poor meal" (1904), "The Absinthe Drinker" (1901), "The Visit (Two Sisters)" (1902), "Mother and her baby" (1903), "Old Beggar with a Boy" (1903, "Woman Ironing" (1904).
3. Rose Period (1904 - 1906)The "rose" period is represented more full of life tones охристый and rose, and also steady topics of pictures- clowns, vagabond actors , acrobats ("The family of Saltimbanques" (1905), "Acrobat and Young Harlequin" (1905), "Joker" (1905). Charmed with comedians which became the models his picture, he often visited the Medrano Circus. During that time a clown was his favorite personage .In 1904 Picasso met a model Fernande Olyvie who inspired his for creation many important pictures of that time. They lived in the centre of Paris' Bohemian life and Mecca of painters -in Bafouz -La Vouar. That strange half-destroyed building with dark stairs and winding corridors was home for various company : poets, traders, yardmen. There in an atmosphere of absolute poverty and on a verge of misery and in indescribable creative chaos Picasso drew his Fernande and searched for his own way.
The outstanding "Acrobat on a Ball" (1905) is taken type of transitional pictures between "blue" and "rose" periods. he artist plays in the contrast and balance of shapes or lines, weight and light, stability and instability. Also in the end of the "rose" period were appeared "antique" pictures - "Boy Leading a Horse" (1906), "Young Girl with a Goat" (1906) and others.
4. African Period (1907 - 1909)In 1906 Picasso drew a portrait of Gertrude Stein. He redrew it abiut 80 times and by her remembrance finally Picasso said her furiously: "I stop to see you when I look at you." and he discontinued his work. It was the turning-point in his creation and from there he began his way from representations separate people to representation a man as the man and to a shape like self-contained The "African" period (1907-1909) structure. Picasso needed confirmations his own way common development of the world art and new impressions for receipt new creation energy. The since opening of that time the whole layer of the African culture became an impulse for creation of the artist, He especially was interested African culture and masks, he reckoned that they had magic power and he had found in them the sensual simplicity of shapes. In summary just these "African influences " gave the definition of the conclusive variant of portrait.
The picture "Avignon Girls" was appeared in 1907. That work was lasted more than one year, - so long and hardly Picasso had not worked before with his other pictures. The first reaction of the public was as a shock. Matisse was very rage. Most of his friends did not accepted that work. "It is a filling as you wanted to feed us an oakum or to give petrol to drink"- said Georges Braque, new Picasso's friend. The scandal picture named by the poet A Salmon was the first step of masterpiece on the way to cubism and many experts in art mean it the starting dot of the modern art.
5. Cubism (1909 - 1917)They distinguish the "Cubism" period of Picasso on some steps. "sessan cubism" represented "Decanter and Tureens" (1908), "Three Women" (1908), "Woman with a Fan" (1909) and other are characterized "sessan" tones: sienna, light-green, brown, but more washed-out, muddy with using of the simple geometric shapes which a picture is built from. "Analytic" cubism: a subject is separated on small parts which are distinctly detached one from another and the subject form is faded on the canvas. "Portrait of Ambroise Vollard" (1910), "Factory in Horta de Sant Joan" (1909), "Portrait of Fernarde" (1909), "Portrait of Kahnweiler" (1910). On the step of "synthetic" cubism pictures of Picacco had the decorative and contrast character . They were generally represented with still life of the different subjects: musical instruments , music, bottles of vine, smoke pipes, dishes, posters. "Still-Life with Chair Caning" (1911-1912), "Bottle of Pernod (Table in a Cafe)" (1912) "Violin and Guitar" (1913).
Despite underestimating the most of people Picasso's pictures they are bought very well. At last the poverty existence is ended, Pablo and Fernande moved in 1909, September into the spacious and light workshop on the street Clichy. Picasso, of course, didn't forget to convey his compulsory chaos: fancy bottles and vases, guitars, an old carpet, pictures of his favourite artists - Matisse, Cezanne, Russo, the collection of African masks. He always said he felt horror from harmony and good taste. He bought things which he liked, didn't worry how they looked.
In 1911, Autumn Picasso parted with Fernande. His new muse became Eva (Marsel Umber). They lived together and he created his own the cubism works on Montparnasse and in Avignon. One from them dedicated Eva was "Nude, I love Eva" (1912). Then were become the painful years: the World War I, a mobilization and parting withy many friends, a sudden illness and tragic Eva's death.
6. Neoclassicism (1918 - 1925)In 1917, Spring a poet Jean Cocteau collaborated with Sergei Diaghilev had proposed to Picasso to make sketches and decorations for a future ballet. The artist went to work in Rome where he fell in love in one dansers of the Diaghilev's group- Olga Hohlova. They were married in 1918 and their son Paul was born in 1921.
That time the Picasso's pictures were very far from cubism, they had clear and intelligible shapes, light tones, correct faces. The most expressive picture of those years was "Portrait of Olga in the Armchair" (1917). Picasso was hard criticized for interchange of style as before for cubism. He had answered those accusations in his interview "Every time, when I want something to say I say it in such manner, which accordance with mine sensation it has to say" The others pictures of the "realistic" period are "The Bathers" (1918), "Women Running on the Beach" (1922), "Portrait of Paul Picasso as a Child" (1923).
7. Surrealism (1925 - 1936)"A beauty will be convulsive or it won't be" - said Andre Breton, an establisher of surrealizm as the direction in art, set his goal achievement true depths of the art creature, due to penetrating in the world of dreams and involuntary.
In 1925 Picasso had drawn the picture "A dance". It is the aggressive, painful picture with the deformed figures, it reflects hard period of his family life and at the same time declares new turning-point in his creature. Picasso was close to the surrealist artists but he had always his own way.
The pictures of that period are "Bather Opening a Cabin" (1928), "Figures on a Beach" (1931), "Woman with a Flower" (1932) and others.
It was in 1927, one cold day Picasso had met 17 years old Marie Therese Walter. He had bought for her the castle Boaugeloo and she became there his the only model and heroine of some his known pictures: "Mirrow" (1932, private collection ), "The girl in front of a mirror" (1932, MoMA, New-York ). She was also the model for the sculpture "A women with a vase" (now it is on the artist's tomb). In 1935 Marie-Therese had gave birth to daughter Maya, but before 1936 Picasso parted with them, also he wasn't devoted with Olga Hohlova until her death in 1955.
In 1932-1934 Picasso was interested sculpture art and he created the series of sculptures in manner of surrealizm : "Laying woman" (1932), "A man with a bouquet"(1934), and also he built different metal constructions with helping his Spanish friend- a sculptor Hoolio Gonzales. In those 1930s Picasso created the series of etchings to "Metamorphoses" of Ovidy (1932) and to work of Aristophan (1934) attesting that a classic art was always a strong resource of inspiration
8. War (1937-1945)Since 1930s in Picasso's creature was appeared his key aspect and image - a Bull, Minotaurus. The artist created the series of works with this personage ("Minotaurusmahia", 1935) and he traced his own point of view about the Minotaurus' myth. For him the Bull, Minotaurus was the destructive power, war and death.
he well known Picasso's picture "Guernica" (1937) became an apogee of development that theme. Gernika is a small town of the Basks on the north of Spain, practically destroyed with the German aviation in 1937, 1st of May. This large (about 8 meters of length and 3,5 meters of height monochromatic (black, white, gray) picture was shown at first in the Republican Pavilion of Spain in Paris during the World Exhibition.
One day the German officers had made a search of Picasso's house and a Nazi looked at the table photo of "Gernika" asked : "Have you done it ?". "No, I haven't. You have done it." answered the artist.
The series of monsters was created in the same period "Dreams and lie of General-in Chief Franko (1937) (in 1936 Picasso had supported the Republicans and spoke against adherents of Franko ) and many pictures with the close themes: "Night Fishing at Antibes" (1939), "Weeping Woman" (1937) (that picture was drawn from Dora Maar, Yugoslavian woman- photographer, he met her in 1936; she was become famous that she made photos of his works with "Guernica").
During World War II Picasso had lived in France where he brought together with communists - members of Resistance (in 1944 Picasso had even joined to the French Communist Party). In that time he had created the pictures with the same maintenance- Bull, War and Death: they are "Still Life with Steers Skull" (1942), "Morning serenada" (1942, National Museum of Modern Art, Pompidou Center, Paris), "Battle" (1944-1945, MoMA, New York) and other which was later mounted in front of the oldest Roman cathedral on the trading square of town Walloris on the south of France.
9. After War (1945 - 1960e)In the peace time, in 1946 Picasso had made the picturesque ensemble from 27 panels and pictures for a castle of the noble family Grimaldy in Antibes, it is a town on the Mediterranean seaside of France. The panel in the first hall is named "The joy of life" and all series is represented as harmony of nature with existence - it is the representation of fauns, naked girls, centaurs, fairy-tale creatures..
In 1946 Picasso had met a young artist - woman Francoise Gilot and came over with her in the castle Grimaldy. Soon she gave him a son Claudd and a daughter Paloma. The picture "Women-Flower" was dedicated to Francoise (In 1953 Francoise ran away from Picasso with both children through his difficult character and permanent infidelity; it was hard for him that parting and it reverberated on his work of that period. An ugly old pygmy and young beautiful girl are contrasted as a slapstick in many drawings with Indian ink.
In 1946 Picasso had drawn his well known "Dove of Peace" on the poster for the World congress supporters of peace in Paris, and in 1951 he created the politic picture "Massacre in Korea" (the Museum of Picasso, Paris). Since 1947 Picasso had lived on the south of France, in town Vallauris where he drew the walls of an old chapel with allegoric symbols of peace and war, and he named his work as "The temple of peace". In Vallauris Picasso was interested in ceramics. He had created his favorite personages - centaurs, fauns, pigeons, bulls, women; he made anthropomorphous jars. Before nowadays the ceramic workshops are kept in that town and they carry edition of many copies things with the mark "Picasso" which was created by the artist. In 1958 the famous artist of standing reputation had created the monumental composition "The Fall of Icarus" for the building UNESCO in Paris. In 1961 80-years old Picasso had married 34-years old beautiful Jacqueline Roque. She had inspired him for series of picture where everyone can see her chiselled profile sphinx. He had bought a villa in Cannes for himself and herself.
10. Last years (1960 - 1973)In 1960 Picasso had drawn the different variations of themes by famous masters of art - Vela'zquez, Goya, Manet - in the free scandal cubism manner.
During the later period of his creature he often appealed to a woman portrait (portraits of Jacqueline Roque). She remained the last and loyal to Picasso woman. She took care of his health when he was ill, blind and hard of hearing till his death. Picasso died in 1973, April 8 in town Mudzen in France. He was 92 - years old multimillionaire and buried near his own castle Vauvenargues. He left more than 80,000 works (another information approximately 20,000 ). He said about Death: "I think about Death all time, it is as a woman who will never leave me". In 1970 the Museum of Picasso was opened in Barselona (the pictures for that museum were given in possession by himself) and in 1985 with helping his heir apparents was founded the Museum of Picasso in Paris, counted more than 200 pictures, 150 sculptures and some thousands drawings, collages, prints, documents.
The Picasso's creature had been influenced on developing of Art and Culture of XX century. And on the world auctions before nowadays are searched and sat out for sale new and new little known works of famous artist from his huge heritage.
Copying this article partially or fully permitted only if there is a direct link to this website
Last comments09 March
I`m drawing this right now it`s amazing ...
admin, Russia, SBb
26 1/2 x 19 5/8 inches ...
Melanie, USA, LA
What is the standard size of a print of this piece? ...
Caleigh , Canada, Toronto
Reminds me of Dali`s Auto Cannibalism. ...
Di sicuro non è il suo amico Dominguin... ...
mohamed, egypt. cairo
Country: Egypt Comments / Questions: Introduce myself Mohamed Mahmoud Fine Artist Me of the artist`s paintings of picasso collection of my grandparents I want to ...
wolf neuhaus, germany
the way Picasso painted her, she resembles the woman in the background of "le dejeuner sur l`herbe" ...
admin, Saint Petersburg, Russia
Fares, ask here: www.picasso.fr ...
Fares Abboud, Canada.Ottawa
I have an 8 by 10 inches Pierriot by picasso on canvas in colour,the label on the back of the ...
love this painting studying Picasso at Uni!!! ...